Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:07:09 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "Paul M . Lambert" <plambert@plambert.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for PC Card Modem?

"Paul M . Lambert" wrote:

> I've got a Toshiba Tecra 8000.  I'm interested in finding a modem that
> works well with 3.4-STABLE, and that will hopefully continue to work
> with future STABLE releases without too much trouble.
>
> Currently, I've got an internal WinModem, which is useless, and is the
> only remaining hardware reason that I need to boot into NT on the box.
>
> Once I've tested a modem and make a recommendation, my team will probably
> be buying about 10 of them for all of our laptops, so it's important
> that I give it a good testing first... ;-)
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

I am using the Xircom RealPort Modem 56 (it's like the GlobalAccess,
but without ISDN or cellular phone support). The RealPort product line
is interesting because they have the RJ connector integrated (they are
type-III cards). The only issue I had with that modem is that, because
of some bug in the 16550A emulation, I had to increment the sio(4) buffer
size from 256 to 1024 in sys/i386/isa/sio.c. Apart from that problem,
it works fine with my laptop and FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071