Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:40:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
Subject:   Re: filesystem full, but still going(?) - newbie

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, David Schultz wrote:

> Thus spake Mathieu Arnold <arn_mat@club-internet.fr>:
> > Bernie wrote:
> > > df showed the following:
> > > /usr counts negative...
> > >
> > > so, what happens here? is it taking space from other filesystem
> > > to do the job? and for how long will that go?
> > >
> > # tunefs -p /usr
> > tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             8%
> > tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time
> >
> > you (and I) have 8% by default allocated to root
> > use tunefs -m 2 /usr to reclaim some space.
>
> By the way, setting minfree to less than 5% forces optimization for
> space, which will ``greatly increase the overhead for file writes''
> according to tunefs(8).  This may or may not be what you want.  Also
> keep in mind that when some daemons that typically run as root run out
> of disk space, Bad Things can happen.
>
> > do i have to stop the 'make'? seems to be carying on ok...
>
> No, it will stop by itself if you're really out of space.  But since
> you're running `make' as root, you have access to that 8% buffer and
> you do not have a problem.  When the build completes, type `make
> clean' to remove the object files created by the build, or `make
> distclean' to remove the original tarballs.  You might consider
> running `make -DNO_DEPENDS' clean' from /usr/ports to clean up after
> all of your past installs.

hi, thank you for your reply. yes, make stoped 2 mins after i posted...

the solution turned out to be quite easy... i just copied all /usr/ports
int /home/ports (there is a lot of free space there) and did an ln -s
to make /usr/ports pointing to /home/ports and all works fine now.

after seeing what you said about tunfs, i set it again for 10%. as you
said any more overhead is not what i want... i got an old pentium 233mmx
and the disk transfers are quite slow...

Regards,

--Bernie