Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:41:54 -0500
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <andrew@areilly.bpc-users.org>
Cc:        Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Subject:   Re: 7-STABLE regression that breaks lang/drscheme is src/contrib/gcc/gthr-posix.h 1.1.1.8.2.1

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 21:10 +1100, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> Hi Marius,
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:33:27 +0100
> Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
>
> > The __gthread_active_p(), which returns false positives prior
> > to the current version of gthr-posix.h, isn't only used in
> > libstdc++ but also in headers that are installed beneath
> > /usr/include/c++. So the code in those headers compiled into
> > an existing binary which was built prior to the gthr-posix.h
> > fix still might erroneously determine that it's running in a
> > threaded environment while f.e. libstdc++ does not, causing
> > the problems you see. Did you try a mred built on a stock
> > 7-STABLE?
>
> When it first stopped working (around the 11th, from memory), my
> first approach was to rebuild it (over and over, and attempt to
> debug it...)  No joy that way.  It's only since I reverted to
> the earlier version of FreeBSD that it's started working again.
>
> As part of the attempt to make mred work again, I re-built
> *all* of the ports that I have installed (some 900-odd), so
> all of the libraries in /usr/local/lib are post-15 Jan., and
> have whatever effect the change introduces.  Perhaps that is
> why epiphany has gone unstable on me (seems to be complaining
> about failing to connect to gnomevfs).  I suspect that mred
> wasn't minding false-positives before, because it's been
> configured/compiled with pthreads enabled (for the benefit of
> Mesa/OpenGL, apparently).
>
> If you think that it might help to track things down, I can jump
> forward to -STABLE again and rebuild at least all of mred's
> dependencies, but that's going to be a slow process...
>
> Reckon I'll give that a go.  No point staying in the past, now
> that we know where abouts the breakage occurred.
Am I right to assume that this is *not* i386? I have 7-PRERELEASE (i386)
cvsup'ed on January 22, early morning EST, and mred built from vanilla
372 sources (per your earlier recommendation) on January 8th. They seem
to be pretty happy with each other. If there is any information I can
provide that will help you with your quest, please, let me know.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko