Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:44:45 +0000
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2.2.5-RELEASE + inn-1.7.2: Can't remalloc xx bytes with expireover

Hi,

Could replies go to me, as I can't take the list volume!

Dunno if this is relevant, but I've got a box with 64MB RAM, and 1GB swap (I
know, I know, but I did a bit of filesystem juggling recently and I couldn't be
bothered to repart. so I just made it swap).

I built inn from source, rather than the /usr/ports distribution. At the end of
each news.daily I get

Can't remalloc xx bytes, Cannot allocate memory

I know this is expireover because I get the same message when I run expireover
-s on its own once a week. I grabbed the inn-1.7.2 port and diff the
config/config.data and my installed versions and there was no difference between
my guesses about mmap and the ports decisions about mmap.

The INN FAQs don't mention malloc and expireover together, and the only version
of 'BSD mentioned is 2.1.6. Although one BSDish problem is supposedly solved if
GNU malloc is linked to at compile time. Anyway, I have just bunged the
following in the kernel, installed and rebooted.

options         "MAXDSIZ=(256*1024*1024)"
options         "DFLDSIZ=(64*1024*1024)"

I haven't tested yet (I'll find out tomorrow when news.daily does its stuff).
Dunno if this will nail it, as the remalloc errors are way smaller than the
default max of 128MB per process.

Has anyone else seen the above, and, more importantly, solved it?

TIA,
Adam.