Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:49:36 -0800
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to freeze up your FreeBSD 5.0 box.

THis is repeatable for me at will.

5.0-current, supped as of 2/1.

4 80GIG maxtors on 2 promise IDE ultra 66 cards, exported via NFS.

newfs'd an 80G FS on each drive, created one big file filled with
zero's from /dev/zero on each drive. (Softupdates/UFS1)

login to my other box, which has the 4 drives mounted via NFS
(the other box being 4.7-stable as of 1/28/03).  options
from fstab are bg,intr,rw, don't recall if it was v2 or v3 NFS,
although mountd was started with defaults, so I'm assuming v3.

do (on the 4.7-stable box):

rm /mntpt1/bigfile &
rm /mntpt2/bigfile &
rm /mntpt3/bigfile &
rm /mntpt4/bigfile &

And then switch back to the 5.0 current box, only to find out
that it will not respond to any network traffic via ssh.  Will
respond to pings.

I can type my login/pw on the console, but hitting return
after typing my pw just sits there, until I ran out of VTY's.

df on the 4.7 box hangs.

AFter about 30 minutes, when the files finally finished being deleted,
control of 5.0 box was returned, and everything was back and functioning
properly.