Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 03:59:13 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4-libraries wont build (fixed)

Ian wrote:

> I can understand that fixing the XFree86-4 build problem when version 3 is
> installed could be anything from "very hard" to "there's just no way to get
> there from here".  But in that case, a workaround in lieu of a fix may be in
> order:  have the makefile check for the existance of a v3 /usr/X11R6
> directory and spit out a useful "whine and die" message about how that can
> create problems.  Maybe it could spit out a url to a FAQ about it, or
> something.

Yep even a simple message when you type make that says "WARNING: this may
fail to build if you have XFree86 3.x installed!!!"

I was sitting around wondering why the damn thing wouldnt make and really
it gave me no clues... If there was something like that I would of given
3.x a nice rm -rf as soon as I ran into problems ;)