Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:51:52 -0000
From:      "Peter Hutchinson" <ph@phutch.demon.co.uk>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD newbie looking for tips

Hi

Having worked with successive MSDOS and various embodiments of Windows at a
high level for many years, I would now really like to get started with UNIX.
I have some slight experience of an old XENIX box, although more in terms of
use rather than setup/administration. What I would ideally like to do is
install freebsd onto a new partition on an existing MSDOS/Win95/FAT16 disk,
and would appreciate any tips/annecdotes/important considerations before
beginning. I've read a lot of docs and readme-type stuff at www.freebsd.org,
and what I've seen so far looks encouraging.

What I would really like to know is:
-    what would you consider a reasonable partition size for a mid-range
freebsd installation ? (I have a 1.2GB IDE drive that is already pretty full
but am considering purchasing a second unit that I would probably run
exclusively as a single DOS partition, with the boot portions of DOS and
freebsd in its entirity remaining on the existing disk). The machine is an
AST P133 (Intel) with 24mb RAM, ATAPI CDROM, SiS video and ESS1788
soundblaster-compatible soundcard.

-    is the FIPS utility available on the ftp sites really any good at
shrinking an active, primary DOS partition without reformatting or
reinstalling ?  Does Win95 cope with it and if so how well ? (I've heard it
can screw entire filesystems at boot on a bad day). What are the chances of
screwing the drive completely ?  Is there a boot manager set up/provided by
either fips or the freebsd install ?

-    is installing via ftp a practical possibility over a 28.8 analogue
modem line, or am I going to be paying the phone bill off for the next 20
years ?

-    any good books or online resources you would recommend for someone in
my position :-)

Thanks for any help/advice you can give. Also, sorry if this would be better
posted/mailed elsewhere !

--
Peter Hutchinson
ph@phutch.demon.co.uk