Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:10:48 +0200
From:      "Jani H Rautiainen" <jani.rautiainen@mobiili.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation hangs after ata0 is detected

I have seatched the list archives and google and tried everything I have
found but without results. The problem is that the 4.7-STABLE installer
hangs after ata0 detection. I have tried to boot from floppies and from cd
with same result. I tried to give the boot parameters "set hw.ata.ata_dma=0"
and "set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0". Even checked that the cd-rom really is master
on ata1 (one hard drive on ata0). Is there something to do or do I have to
give up...

Some specs:
ata0 master: ide hard drive
ata1 master: ide cd-rom drive
Checked that the chipset (VIA 82C686b) is supported.

Jani