Date:      03 Jan 2005 13:38:31 +0100
From:      peter@bgnett.no (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help on Compaq Laptop Presario 3000 AMD Athlon 64 -Nvida-gforce3	chipset

Kangaroo <saigon_ca@yahoo.com> writes:

> I need help on instaling freebsd 5.3 AMD64 on my lap top.
>
> When I boot from cd rom, The system boot up to menu screen
> show 1...7 where 2 eg. boot with disable ACPI...
> My system automatically shutdown when I press any key from
> 1 or 7 or just press enter. I mean it SHUTDOWN my machine.

There is a possibility that the machine contains various components
which are not fully supported in FreeBSD/amd64. What happens if you try
booting FreeBSD/i386 instead?

I know this may not be the most satisfying suggestion, but if it's that
or not getting the machine to boot at all, well, there it is. I'd
venture a guess that whichever software came with the machine originally
is not quite 64 bit clean either.