Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:19:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Christopher Stein <stein@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1 make world and cvsup release field

Hello, I don't wish to jump all the way forward to -CURRENT, but would
like to bring my 3.3 system up to 4.1 (would like to go beyond 4.0
for kqueue() and fxp PEX support).

I would like to do this via cvsup and `make world'.
My understanding is that `make world' is just buildworld followed
by installworld, each a single monolithic step. Hhmm.. it seems
to me that some build stages will not work without
some other elements being installed. For example, my current modified
4.1 kernel will not build on a 3.3 system due to the old binutils (2.9.1
vs. 2.10). So how can a `make world' work in a monolithic build then
install sequence?

How do I specify 4.1 in the release field of my supfile?

(The man page isn't too enlightening. Says "The supfile is as described in
sup(1)". `man sup` turns up nothing. An additional blurb on the
release=releasename keyword talks about traditional sup and recommends
using releasename=cvs.)

thanks
-Chris