Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:16:56 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016137017.93980d@mired.org>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        "Nickolay A.Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~juha/
References:  <20020306191854.C2150-100000@earl-grey.cloud9.net> <3C86C11C.8A31C8BB@mindspring.com> <15494.52528.125952.145716@guru.mired.org> <3C86D7D6.C11D7E@mindspring.com> <15494.58407.33613.314390@guru.mired.org> <8457986570.20020307135407@internethelp.ru> <15495.57385.993281.469551@guru.mired.org> <20020308113108.G32897@iconoplex.co.uk> <15497.12783.643757.175742@guru.mired.org> <20020309144158.K32897@iconoplex.co.uk>

Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk> types:
> On Mar  8, Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1016056176.58706e@mired.org> wrote:
> > Then you install Solaris and use it. BFD.
> And what if you want HP-UX? Or AIX? Or VMS?

In that case, you've got to purchase proprietary hardware to do it,
and it's liable to be expensive. But wanting to satisfy your
curiousity doesn't justify your stealing from other people.

> I've only ever met a small handful of people who like me have used a
> Cray without having worked in the scientific or supercomputer
> industry.

No problem. I was always curious about what it would be like to work
on a Cray. I didn't steal time on one to find out, I waited until one
of my employers decided they needed one. If that had never happened,
I'd have never found out. The loss I would have suffered is relatively
minor to the loss I would have suffered if I'd stolen cycles to get
it.

> > He forgot the third group - the ones who were talented enough to get
> > hired to run or write OS's for those machines. Where do you think the
> > people who wrote BSD came from?
> That's a job, not a way of life, a way of thinking and something that
> completely consumes your entire existence. Have you ever actually met any
> proper hackers?

Yes, I have. Most of them fit your description. Few of them felt the
need to steal from others in order to get cycles. Unless you're using
the word to refer only to hackers who are crackers, and not to hackers
who manage to find legal ways to scratch those itches.

> I'm not talking about script kiddies here - I'm talking
> about people who live and breath it, and have real skills?
> The sort that  find the buffer overflows,

I've known people who can timing nasty bugs in device driver by
looking at the source. Compared to that, finding buffer overflows *is*
script kiddie work.

> write the exploits, have the choice to make money
> out of it but who just want to have fun? No, didn't think so.

You're right - everyone I know managed to find some way to make money
out of their skills, so they could get paid for having fun, and stay
on the good side of the law. Some of them might not have, as they were
usually entangled with the law in one way or another most of the time
I knew them - but never for having broken into someone else's
computer.

> Comparing people who enjoy their jobs and are good at it to people
> who refuse to get jobs because they want to devote themselves to a
> passion is ridiculous,

I can't argue with that. One is a group of bright people who've
managed to turn their passion into income, which is an extremely
difficult task. The other is a group of criminals. They may well be
very talented, and I admit that every time I talk about crackers who
are also hackers. Some of them even have good social skills. But for
most of the last 30 years, the industry has *desperately* needed
people with those skills, and would put up with almost anything in
order to get people to actually work on their problems. Finding a job
that lets you play with cool hardware and is almost all play and no
work wasn't hard.

> > First, hacking isn't illegal. Using resources that don't belong to you
> Depends on country. In the UK, hacking is itself illegal. Computer Misuse
> Act. Where you are, things may be different.

Please remember that I'm using the word "hacking" in it's original
sense, of making computers - or hardware - do things the designer
never intended. I'm not using it in the more restricted sense the
press has given it, of misusing someone else's resouces.  If the
former is a crime in the UK, the UK is goign to be the poorer for
it. It sounds more like the latter is a crime - and it should be.

> Anyway, the point is, don't assume you understand the motives behind an
> action no matter what it is, otherwise you may end up having to challenge
> your understandings on huge swathes of society.

My point is that the motives *don't matter*. If you steal a car to go
joy riding in, to use as a getaway vehicle in a bank holdup, or to
repaint and renumber, you're still a thief. The same thing applies to
stealing CPU cycles.

	<mike