Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 2021 13:58:01 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Files in /etc containing empty VCSId header

On Mon, 2021-06-07 at 13:53 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:26 PM John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On 5/20/21 9:37 AM, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After a binary update using freebsd-update, all files in /etc
> > > contain
> > > "empty" VCS Id headers, e.g.,
> > >
> > >      $ head  /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > >      #
> > >      # nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
> > >      # $FreeBSD$
> > >      #
> > >      group: compat
> > >      group_compat: nis
> > >      hosts: files dns
> > >      netgroup: compat
> > >      networks: files
> > >      passwd: compat
> > >
> > > After migrating to git, I would've expected those to contain
> > > something
> > > else or disappear completely. Is this expected and are there any
> > > plans
> > > to remove them completely?
> >
> > I believe we might eventually remove them in the future, but doing
> > so
> > right now would introduce a lot of churn and the conversion to git
> > had enough other churn going on.
> >

> We'd planned on not removing things that might be merged to stable/12
> since
> those releases (12.3 only I think) will be built out of svn. We'll
> likely
> start to
> remove things more widely as the stable/12 branch reaches EOL and
> after.
>
> Warner

It would be really nice if, instead of just deleting the $FreeBSD$
markers, they could be replaced with the path/filename of the file in
the source tree.  Sometimes it's a real interesting exercise to figure
out where a file on your runtime system comes from in the source world.
All the source tree layout changes that happened for packaged-base
makes it even more interesting.

-- Ian