Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:50:17 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <pbrezny@christschool.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: drive install problem

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 09:41:03AM -0400, Peter Brezny wrote:
[snip]
> there is a device listed in /dev that matches the description of the new
> drive.  I've not had a chance to get to the box, and see if it will let me
> back in to fix /etc/fstab now or not but i am hopint it will.
>
> any ideas?

It sounds like a bad line in /etc/fstab. When the mount fails during
boot up, the boot process stops and it will drop to single-user
mode. Check if the other filesystems are mounted and that the roor
filesystem is mounted read-write. If not, mount by hand.

Check that /etc/fstab is correct. It does not matter what order the
filesystems are in (normally, and it would not in this case). Check
that the device listed for the filesystem in fstab exists in /dev. If
not, create it.

If you have fixed anything or not, at this point, try,

  # mount /bkup

Do _NOT_ give it the device on the command line. This will make sure
that it tries to use the fstab entry. If it fails, check the error
message and try to fix the problem. If it works... Problem fixed.