Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:56:43 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Scott Sewall <scott@redlinenetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethereal-0.9.13: make install fails

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:45:59PM -0700, Scott Sewall wrote:

> The make install of the latest ethereal port fails.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE-p10.
>
> Any ideas?
[...]
> /bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/X11R6/bin
> sed: 1: "s,^.*/,,;;s/$//": invalid command code ;
[...]

The problem is caused by the redundant semicolon separating the 's'
commands in the sed command string -- only one semicolon is necessary,
and versions of FreeBSD before 4.7 didn't accept any more than one.
Try updating src/usr.bin/sed to RELENG_4_7, RELENG_4_8 or RELENG_4
(depending on how much risk you're willing to take), or modify the
mkinstalldirs script to avoid generating redundant semicolons.

Otherwise, you could apply this patch to src/usr.bin/sed/compile.c by hand:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/sed/compile.c.diff?r1=1.21&r2=1.22

You shouldn't have to do any of these things, though. I think the ethereal
port or one of the GNU auto* tools is at fault here.

Tim