Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 01:43:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de driver and sshd

> Thinking about it, I can't understand how sshd can have any efect on
> the de driver that wouldn't also happen when some other program use
> the network... I mean it only opens a socket and send data over it,
> the same way any other network program will. You might have a few big
> packets in the beginning when the keys are exchanged though that you
> might not have with something like telnetd...

Can't different NIC drivers, based on the differentiation of their
hardware and programming interfaces, respond differently in areas of
timing and throughput due to each NIC's particular design
advantages/flaws?  The same should hold true for drivers.

My thoughts here were more along the line of some sshd mechanism which may
be exercising a design limitation of either the Digital chip or the de
driver.  Or both.  I'd be more inclined to think driver because there have
been problems with the driver in the past, and also because these cards
don't exhibit similar problems under other OS's.

As for my testing, I spent alot of time logging and trying different
configurations of software on several systems and am almost entirely
convinced from the data that sshd is somehow the culprit.  Exactly how it
would cause this symptom, I dunno...  But I don't have any spare time
right now to pursue it much further.  If it happens to others I'd just
like to know about it.  ITMT, no sshd for de based machines in my shop :(

- Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter                    || 107 Timber Hollow Court #335 ||
|| Senior Network Consultant          || Chapel Hill, NC  27514       ||
|| Fortean Technologies, Inc.         || Tel: 919-967-4766            ||
|| Information Technology Consultants || Fax: 919-967-4395            ||