Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:12:48 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: marking up keystrokes

Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com> writes:
>   &key.enter;
>   &key.ctrl.p;
>   &key.ctrl.alt.del;
>   &key.esc.p;
>
>   Does anyone have any objections to me adding these to freebsd.ent
> and using them throughout the Handbook?  Other ideas?

Having an entity for every possible combination of <meta_key>-<something>
seems awfully wasteful.  Perhaps something like this:

	&key.ctrl;P

(note that 'P' isn't part of the entity) which would render as "Ctrl-P", or

	<keyctrl>P</keyctrl>

It's reasonable to have entities for the exotic comobinations (e.g.,
&key.ctrl.alt.del;), but I think having one for every letter will be a
maintenance headache.  If you only add the ones you need now,
non-committers will have trouble contrbuting something where they need an
entity that doesn't exist.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org

P.S.  Thanks for all your recent work on consistency; it's making things
look much better.  Perhaps you can get one of your minions to work on
making references to -stable and -current consistent, too, with the use of
the &stable; and &current; entities :-).