Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 02:34:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, <mckay@thehub.com.au>, <chat@freebsd.org>, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NIS client performance seems very poor under network load

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

>Progress in these types of situations nearly always comes from people
>with enough self-interest in the problem area to actually commit to
>working on it.  Rather than asking for people who have written an
>autofsd to step forward, why not instead start working on this project
>yourselves and ask for volunteers to HELP you address the problem?
>That's taking on the problem from the right end, IMHO.

I agree wholeheartedly Jordan.  My self-interest in the problem has at
least motivated me enough to go reading the applicable source but I've
not had time lately to work on actual patches.  I've got a lot of irons
in the fire at the moment, especially with students being back around
(I'm a sysadmin at Vanderbilt University) but when things quiet down I
do intend to work on this.  At the moment I sit daily in front of an SGI
Indigo2 running IRIX because it's better than Linux and integrates quite
well with our environment.  I really want a FreeBSD workstation on my
desk, so I'll likely end up writing the patches just so I can get that
FreeBSD workstation integrated.  But, no promises on a timeframe so if
someone else wants to get started now, then by all means charge right
ahead with it.

--
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.  There might be a
law against it by that time."	-- /usr/games/fortune, 07/30/2001

Brandon D. Valentine <bandix at looksharp.net>