Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 06:37:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@gigo.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/ppp ip.c

> Sorry for the "implicit bug report", Brian, but I've been meaning to track
> this down for a long time and make sure it's not user error. I often see this

I've had this since the 2.2.2 days when I first started running ppp.
After a while (hours, days, weeks - random) either carrier isn't noticed
as being missing, or all outgoing packets don't cross the serial cable to
to the other side.  After a while I kinda gave up.

I now every few minutes fping a few hosts on the nearby remote side.  If
they _all_ fail (a good 10 second timeout is given) then I kill -9 the ppp
session, wait 2 seconds, then restart ppp.  It's caught every strange
random bug on either side soon enough that I no longer have to try and
call home and walk the wife through ppp..