Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:02:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, brandon@cold.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what 'dialog' library is used with sysinstall and what not?

> > tvision is unusable on with a sane terminal setting like cons25l1
> > (which IMHO should be the default for syscons) or with pcvt or an
> > xterm. libdialog is at least terminal independent.
>
> libdialog is a terminal independent P.O.S. (no explanation of that
> acronym should be necessary :) and I've gone as far as I can go with
> it - it MUST go.

No argument there :)

> In any case, the point is moot.  I've been waiting for 2 years for a
> usable CUI library, it's not appeared, and this library is the first
> serious attempt I've ever seen at trying to make the whole CUI
> interface usable.  The other attempts just took a GUI framework and
> attempted to cram it into a CUI imitation, something which generally
> results in a truly horrible looking interface.  libtvision looks
> pretty darn good, considering the limitations it has to work under,
> and it's *really really* easy to write code for.  I'm sold, I'm
> using it in sysinstall II (setup), better get used to the idea. :-)

Erhm, what about the somewhat funny license tvision is under ??
I dont like that is has been copythefted, the original seems to
be free for the taking (Havn't seen any actual Borland docs though)
and now pieces are GPL'd :( :(. If this is resolved I have absolutely
no problems with it (hey it could even be used as an API to a GUI for
those with "real" videocards, I could be talked into doing some
of that, remember)

Anybody have a pointer to the genuine Borlan turbo vision 2.0 this
is taken from ??

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..