Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:06:41 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new zero copy sockets snapshot

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:00:46AM -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 15:55:18 +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:
> > > With those fixes, plus several fixes that have gone into -current over the
> > > past week or so, the zero copy sockets code runs without any WITNESS
> > > warnings at all now.
> >
> > Planning to commit soon?
>
> That's the plan.  I need to see if any comments come up, and then make sure
> I'll be in town for a few days at least to handle any problems that come
> up.

  I have a few comments and questions:

  - In uipc_jumbo.c, you appear to avoid using some of the SLIST macros,
    notably when grabbing something off the inuse or free lists.

  - Is the mutex really necessary in jumbo_vm_init()? I suspect that
    if you need to ensure mutual exclusion here, there's something
    wrong; (why would you be running the jumbo vm code before having
    initialized it?) - perhaps you could init the mtx at runtime in the
    jumbo_vm_init routine.

  - It's kind of unfortunate that uipc_jumbo.c has to roll its own
    allocator;  There are a couple of alternatives; to just use
    UMA or mb_alloc for this sort of thing.  mb_alloc will wire
    all pages allocated through it, though, so maybe it would be worth
    looking at what UMA can do in this respect.  If it cannot do exactly
    what you're looking for, then modifying it to do what you want
    should be relatively simple.  The added advantage is that you'll now
    be using per-CPU caches for allocations of jumbo bufs, and not the
    single freelist that you currently use.

  - I don't know anything about the if_ti code, but it sure looks like
    it's holding the ti mutex a long time in some places (not only in
    your patch).

> Ken
> --
> Kenneth Merry