Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:02:52 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New home page design

Frank Pawlak wrote:

> On Jun 24,  7:50pm, Malartre wrote:
> > Subject: Re: New home page design
> > Sue Blake wrote:

> > > I think they're handy... if I'm seeing what you're referring to.
> > > It's good to have all those links on the first page. I have observed a
> > > few difficulties though:
> > >
> > > The list box for the countries appears half way down the main body of
> > > text, obscuring part of the paragraph which comes before "Easy to install"
> > >
> > > The links on the left might be easier to read of they had bullets or some
> > > kind of separator. For example, it's hard to get the meaning when I see:

> > >  Getting
> > > FreeBSD
> > >  Installation
> > >  Supported
> > > Hardware
> > >  Current Releases
> > >  Ported
> > > Applications
> > >  Commercial
> > > Documents
> > >
> > > My browser seems to have been prevented from displaying this page
> > > optimally. All the text is bunched up on the left, and the entire right
> > > half of the browser window is glaring white space. The old page did not
> > > cause this to happen.
> > >
> > > On another machine, I can only see the column on the left and half of
> > > each line of text on the right unless I keep scrolling left and right.
> > > Again, this did not happen with the old page.
> > >
> > > We have discussed the cause and its simple solution a million times.
> > >
> > > Content is *the* most important consideration (and it's good), however we
> > > are supposed to be an organisation that has slightly higher than average
> > > technical competence. I'm not attracted to an operating system written by
> > > someone who doesn't appear to have overcome the beginner's misconception
> > > that HTML controls screen layout. Unless you provide me with the hardware
> > > that the page was designed for, you have no way of knowing what my screen
> > > can do or how my browser has been configured to display HTML.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >         -*Sue*-
> > >
> > I think that my and your version is broken. I really understand the
> > point of Sue now. After a lot of mail ;-) There is many thing I could
> > explain on why FreeBSD.ORG should never use something like that.
> > I propose a new solution.
> > No right and left table. No text on the first page. Except for news.
> > The ¾ of the FreeBSD.ORG main page is text for new user. But I think
> > than that text have nothing to do on the first page. *Maybe* a little
> > text like on the current linux.org site who explain very basic line of
> > the product. (check "What is Linux" on the main page, also the "more"
> > button). I dont like the linux.org page to :-).
>
> Just as I was going to recommend that the linux.org page was a great example of
> a well designed web page, along comes a critic.  That's what makes this world
> [...]
Sure, linux.org is easy to navigate. But this is not my favorite model.
You are true when you say than there is different taste. Maybe it's only
the color they choose who make me feel so down ;-) But I don't think
it's a solution, it's a part of a solution. Take the best from that
page, mix that with other page.

In fact, BSDi was like http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/w/bsd.html some
week ago. Same left and right side. I love really more the new way to
navigate the new site. (www.bsdi.com) A must to see!

Malartre