Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2013 06:44:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To:        ASV <asv@inhio.eu>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A very 'trivial' question about /root

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013, ASV wrote:

> Hi Julian,
> you played Devil's advocate well actually as I don't know which idea
> would be more audacious, letting httpd access files from your root dir
> or exporting /root via nfs. :)
> Both of them sound more like a lab scenario than a real one.

A diskless FreeBSD will use an NFS-mounted /root. See:

   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-diskless.html
   http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/FreeBSD-diskless.html

So it is more than a theoretical possibility. I would also add that
putting stricter permissions on perfectly public information may not
lead to improved security, if it leads to programs and daemons that
would otherwise run as nobody having to run with root priviledges.

daniel feenberg