Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 21:27:52 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE Stability (was Re: Regarding Promoting KDE - Wait, why not  GNUstep?)

David Kelly wrote:

> Kris Kennaway writes:
> [...]
> > Having said all this, the last time I tried KDE was the 1.0 release, which I
> > found to be terribly unstable. I assume from the lack of comments in this
> > direction that the code has matured a lot since then and this is no longer a
> > problem. If so, I think this is a superb idea and not one which can be
> > reasonably objected to. If only I had some free HD space to reinstall KDE, I'd
> > jump in and help get things underway.
>
> I too tried KDE 1.0 and got tired of *.core files laying around. Today
> installed the most current port of KDE 1.1 on my 2.2.8 box and putted
> around with kmail to see if it could make me happy.
>
> Kmail reminds me a lot of Eudora. If only message composition/viewing
> were in a separate floating window (as I'm using with exmh2, and used
> to under the Mac versions of Eudora) then I'd almost be happy.
>
> Guess my first sin was to run kmail under twm. Kmail spits out way too
> many debugging messages, many of which say, "something failed."
> Attempts to launch Help generated a core dump, possibly because I
> wasn't running kwm. IMHO if KDE was fit for public consumption then it
> would bother to find out it lacks some resource before core dumping.

Kmail is not integral to the KDE desktop.  It installs from one of the
base KDE packages but I think the last time I looked at it was Beta 3 of
KDE.  I do not suggest we suspend our judgment and accept the entire
package as is.  If a GUI mail client is necessary, Mozilla meets the
basic need; the current version is at least usable and will only improve
as the Open Source releases begin to appear.

As you know, KDE is comprised of a huge number of packages developed in
parallel around a basic framework.  The quality varies widely; FreeBSD
should recognize the parts that represent it well, and leave the rest to
those who make the effort.  I believe that enough of the core of KDE is
stable, useful and worthy of a FreeBSD desktop.

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net

  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.