Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:28:23 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dhw@whistle.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > 1) Links? That's awful. Configuration information should be put in a
> > FILE.
>
> Uh, we await your diffs to phkmalloc.  Be sure to run them by Poul
> so he can reject them.  8-).

I claim that's different, though not so confidently. The problem
with the "links" above is that the configuration information is the
*directory*, not the link by itself (as I have the vague impression
is the case you mention).

> > 2) Run levels are flawed. They are "one-dimensional", and the
> > problem they have to solve is not. (Refer to PPP vs Network
> > problem).
>
> Run states resolve this.

Yep. I'm not against run states, just against run levels. If people
want to change things, I'd rather have it done right. right <> SysV.
:-)

> It's actually two dimensional, since it includes directory order
> vs. level (state) specific director{y|ies}.
>
> But it doesn't solve all the problems, no.  Just all the ones
> BSD has that SysV doesn't.  8-p.

BSD doesn't have any problems. It just does not implement these
features. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	She just looked at him over the rotating pencil like, how slow can
a mammal be and still have respiratory functions?