Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:08:19 -0500
From:      Gerry Freymann <lists@interpool.ca>
To:        "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting services?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:32:29 -0500
"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

>On 11/17/05, Gerry Freymann <lists@interpool.ca> wrote:
>>  If you manually want to do this, you *must* use the full path to the
>> script:
>>
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh start | stop
>
>In the rc(8) manpage, it states that .sh scripts are sourced directly.
>
>     4.   Call each script in turn using run_rc_script() (from
>     rc.subr(8)),
>          which sets $1 to ``start'', and sources the script in a
>          subshell. If the script has a .sh suffix then it is sourced
>          directly into the current shell.
>
>Why is that? I've found that running apache.sh directly with
>start|stop doesn't work. I need to run apachectl.

 In order to manually call up apache.sh in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d
directory, you have to use the full path to the script.

 If you:

cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
./apache.sh start

 it should complain and error out.

 but if you did:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start

 things should go as planned.

 That's, at least, if you wanna do it manually (to either stop or start a
service that has a shell script in there).

-gerry