Date:      Sat, 9 May 2009 10:54:23 +1000
From:      Sam Wun <swun2010@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can pfsync be used over router or WAN?

Establish a IPSEC bewteen this 2 pfsync points is a way to go.

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 2:44 AM, David DeSimone <fox@verio.net> wrote:
> Sam Wun <swun2010@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Have anyone tried pfsync over router or WAN?
>> I have read setup guide of CARP+pfsync, the pfsync interface is
>> connected through a crossover cable. =A0Can I connect 2 pfsync
>> interfaces through a router or WAN?
>
> pfsync(4) talks about this:
>
> =A0 =A0NETWORK SYNCHRONISATION
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 States can be synchronised between two or more firewalls =
using
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 this interface, by specifying a synchronisation interface=
 using
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ifconfig(8). =A0For example, the following command sets f=
xp0 as
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 the synchronisation interface:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 # ifconfig pfsync0 syncdev fxp0
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 It is important that the underlying synchronisation inter=
face
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 is up and has an IP address assigned.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 By default, state change messages are sent out on the
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 synchronisation interface using IP multicast packets. =A0=
The
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 protocol is IP protocol 240, PFSYNC, and the multicast gr=
oup
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 used is 224.0.0.240. =A0When a peer address is specified =
using
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 the syncpeer keyword, the peer address is used as a desti=
nation
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 for the pfsync traffic, and the traffic can then be prote=
cted
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 using ipsec(4). =A0In such a configuration, the syncdev s=
hould
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 be set to the enc(4) interface, as this is where the traf=
fic
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 arrives when it is decapsulated, e.g.:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 # ifconfig pfsync0 syncpeer 10.0.0.2 syncdev enc0
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 It is important that the pfsync traffic be well secured a=
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 there is no authentication on the protocol and it would b=
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 trivial to spoof packets which create states, bypassing t=
he
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 pf ruleset. =A0Either run the pfsync protocol on a truste=
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 network - ideally a network dedicated to pfsync messages =
such
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 as a crossover cable between two firewalls, or specify a =
peer
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 address and protect the traffic with ipsec(4).
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 For pfsync to start its operation automatically at the sy=
stem
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 boot time, pfsync_enable and pfsync_syncdev variables sho=
uld be
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 used in rc.conf(5). =A0It is not advisable to set up pfsy=
nc with
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 common network interface configuration variables of rc.co=
nf(5)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 because pfsync must start after its syncdev, which cannot=
 be
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 always ensured in the latter case.
>
> Syncing over a WAN doesn't seem like it would make sense, offhand.
> Normally you psync between devices that will be able to provide routing
> for a firewalled connection. =A0A device far across a WAN doesn't seem
> like it would be able to provide redundant service. =A0But that's up to
> your design, I suppose.
>
> Syncing across a LAN could make sense, but you will want to take steps
> to secure the traffic.
>
> --
> David DeSimone =3D=3D Network Admin =3D=3D fox@verio.net
> =A0"I don't like spinach, and I'm glad I don't, because if I
> =A0 liked it I'd eat it, and I just hate it." -- Clarence Darrow
>

> This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has b=
een sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally prote=
cted. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message i=
n error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this =
message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return =
e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio, Inc.=
 makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free. =A0Thank you.