Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 05:13:52 -0400
From:      Jerry <gesbbb@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flashplugin

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:06:30 -0400
PJ PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca> replied:

>Thank you very much Herbert,
>
>I appreciate your input.
>As I wrote in my original query, I had auccessfully installed the
>lilnux-flashplugin9 on FreeBSD 7.2 both on a 64 bit portable _ Acer
>Travelmate 4400 - and on a couple of disks on the same machine (i386).
>I followed the instructions  from
>http://crnl.org/blog/2008/11/01/flash-9-for-freebsd-71#comment-form
>
> upgrade FreeBSD. Once that's done the rest is straight forward.
>
>            Step 1: Enable Linux compatibility and linprocfs
>            Add linux_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf. Add
>compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 to /etc/sysctl.conf. Add
>OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 to /etc/make.conf. Add this line
>to /etc/fstab:
>            linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0
>            Then run these commands:
>            mkdir -p /usr/compat/linux/proc
>mount /usr/compat/linux/proc
>/etc/rc.d/abi start
>/etc/rc.d/sysctl start
>            Step 2: Update ports and install all the needed software
>            You will now need to install the following ports and their
>dependencies:
>            cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f8 && make install clean
>cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin9 && make install clean
>cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper && make install clean
>            Follow the nspluginwrapper instructions to enable all
>available plugins:
>            # nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
>Auto-install plugins from /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>Looking for plugins in /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin
>Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin
>Install plugin /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>Auto-install plugins from /root/.mozilla/plugins
>Looking for plugins in /root/.mozilla/plugins
>            Restart or open Firefox 3 and enter about:plugins into your
>address bar. You should see something like the following:
>
>            And that's it! Open your favourite Flash site and all
> should
>work.
>            If your browser doesn't register the Shockwave Flash plugin
>as pictured above, you might need to do a bit of extra work as I had to
>do on one of my machines:
>            cd /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins && ln -s
>/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>            I'm not sure why one of my machines needed this, but it
>might happen to you so this is just a heads up.
>            Update: I have learned that the change with the plugin
>directory is due to a change in FreeBSD's Firefox 3 port. If you're
>running port version 3.0.1_1 or later you will need to use the new
>plugin directory as shown above. CVS change history can be seen here.
>            Enjoy!

That is precisely why I keep an XP box nearby. There is no way in hell
that I would want to personally, or expect a colleague for that matter,
to waste valuable time getting a simple plug-in to work; especially
since I can do it in a matter of seconds on a Microsoft product.

--
Jerry
gesbbb@yahoo.com

Nuclear war would really set back cable.

 Ted Turner