Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:08:50 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD SCSI" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Time for my first backup, how do I install a DDS drive??

Well, I've been sifting through the handbook and the Web and some books, looking
for a procedure that would allow me to install my spare DDS drive on the system,
and I haven't found out how to do it, so I'll ask here.

I have just attached an HP 6000e external DDS drive (C1533A) as the one and only
device on an Adaptec 2930W SCSI adapter that was already present when I
installed FreeBSD (although it had nothing attached to it at the time).  FreeBSD
appears to be aware of the controller, but not of the drive.  The SCSI BIOS on
the adapter card sees the tape drive and recognizes it.  All I have to do, it
seems, is figure out how to persuade FreeBSD to see this drive.  I assume I have
to install a driver or enable something, but how?  I didn't see any sign of a
sa0 or nsa0 device in the kernel configuration file.  What do I have to change
or add?