Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:07:35 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        nik@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No route for 127/8 to lo0 (?)

Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> wrote:

>I thought that 127/8 was the "local net", and that packets sent to any of
>those addresses would go via the loopback interface.  That seems to be
>how Linux and Windows 98 do things (the only systems I can check this on
>at the moment).  Assuming that's the case, why does FreeBSD only add a
>a host route to 127.0.0.1, and not a network route for 127/8?

I did some further investigation to see how old this oddity is and it
seems to be the way BSD has always handled the loopback interface.
There's an explicit exclusion in the interface initialization code in
in.c that gives loopback interfaces a host route instead of the
network route that a normal interface gets and it's been that way for
15 years.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@demon.net    dot@dotat.at