Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 15:35:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86 vs. ATI (again)...

I posted this question a week ago and didn't get any answers, so I'm
posting it again...

I'm bringing FreeBSD V2.0 with XFree86 V3.1 up on an ISA based 486-66
with an ATI VGA Wonder XL card (1Mb memory).  I'm trying to use the
XF86_SVGA server.  Unfortunately, the server only seems to be able to
find the 75Mhz clock.  The xf86config program generates all BUT the
clocks.  When I install the clocks (I used several sets; the original
ones that worked under V2.1.1 and some supplied from another user) I am
unable to get a coherent screen (the screen is white with vertical bars
running through it.  It does not scroll.)  The clock values seem to work
fine for the VGA16 server, but nothing seems to work for the SVGA server.

I did search through my archives of the FreeBSD mailing lists as well as
the last few months worth of comp.os.386bsd.* and comp.windows.x.i386unix
without much success.  I've seen about a dozen people posting with the
same problem, but I don't see any responses.  I also posted mail to the
xfree86 mailing list; also with no response.

Anyone out there actually have a working XFree86 V3.1 + ATI VGA Wonder XL
(or any other ATI VGA Wonder variant) combination out there?

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |