Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2013 00:17:53 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-stable Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   sshd didn't run after upgrade to FreeBSD 8.4

The version of sshd in FreeBSD 8.4 is not backward compatible with older
version from 8.3.

OpenSSH_5.4p1 (on FreeBSD 8.3)
OpenSSH_6.1p1 (on FreeBSD 8.4)

# sshd -t
/etc/ssh/sshd_config line 19: Missing argument.

On line 19, there is:
VersionAddendum

It was OK in older versions. It will remove any default text appended to
SSH protocol banner (for example 'FreeBSD-20120901').

On FreeBSD 8.4, there must be some string (any single character)

I was really badly surprised that the machine was re-booted without ssh
access!

I think this change is worth to mention in Release Notes

Miroslav Lachman