Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:27:13 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installer program for FreeBSD-9.0?

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:04:16 +0000, Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote:
> The argument is normally that even without a CD drive everyone has USB
> so should install using that instead of floppies.

That's not an argument, that's a dogma. :-)

Especially when you want to use AT style hardware, maybe
older laptops that should work as a kind of console device
(serial console using the cu program), or older PCs that
should run as a router, firewall, printer server or
anything else that doesn't require a PlentyCore CPU and
tenmelonhundred GB of RAM, taking into mind their very
low power consumption, then you usually face the situation
that you do NOT have
	- bootable network
	- USB
	- DVD (or at least CD-ROM)
In such situations, you are happy to be able to boot from
floppy (or floppies, that's okay too) and then perform an
installation via network (or plip). Traditionally hardware
of the AT and the early ATX times do not come with USB.
And if they have USB, they can't boot from it.

This sounds old-fashioned, I know. The strength of FreeBSD
is that you actually COULD install it under this kind of
circumstances - a strength other operating systems lack,
especially when they call theirselves "advanced".

One could argument that it should be possible to extract
the hard disk from such a kind of computer and use it
in a different system that can boot NOT from floppy. But
that may cause other problems (e. g. no (P)ATA connector
in a SATA system, can't reach hard disk, can't open
laptop, and so on).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany