Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 18:15:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Announce: New SGML kit

A new (FreeBSD) version of the linuxdoc SGML kit is available:

ftp://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/FBSD-linuxdoc.tar.gz

HIGHLIGHTS:

In this version, I've concentrated mostly on the linuxdoc->HTML
conversion and general ugliness extermination (there is still
plenty left though!).

* The "format" shell script and friends have been replaced with a
  perl script.

* Section numbering in html files goes one level deeper (eg 1.2.3).

* The "navigation" panel on the HTML pages is much more compact
  and no longer has dangling "next" pointers.

* Some minor cosmetic fixes to the HTML output.

* The new perl script does NOT (yet) attempt to run TeX and
  dvips.  For postscript output, you have to do that manually.

* The sgmls parser (and companion, sgmlsasp) are NOT in this
  distribution.  They are expected to be in your search path.
  Sgmls compiles out-of-the-box on 2.0 systems and
  is available from ftp://ftp.jclark.com/.  I have patches for
  1.1.5.1 users, contact me if you want them.

* Rumor has it that html2html WILL dump core on 8-bit input.

* The DTD has not changed.

* The only replacement file change is rep/html/mapping

INSTALLATION:

It should be unpacked in one of the following:

   /usr/local/lib/sgml
   ~/lib/sgml
   ~/sgml

It will create a directory called Linux, so if you have an old
version, move it out of the way first.

Then either copy the bin/sgmlformat into your path, or make a
link to it that is in your path.

Read the README.FreeBSD.

-john