Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:48:39 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LPPL10 license consequences =?UTF-8?Q?intended=3F=20=28arabic?= =?UTF-8?Q?/arabtex=29?=
References:  <532DC88A.7010104@marino.st> <CAN6yY1uf67ogKyqNO025%2BpcU21PmFYCiQULd4z6TsaYbFma3_A@mail.gmail.com> <532DFDB2.1090200@cyberleo.net> <CAN6yY1t0X%2BYE9s10wi0spV7_H4BDPks%2BC_UwXdZsd9Wnbh_%2BFA@mail.gmail.com> <532ED19F.1090100@marino.st> <533541E5.6040003@marino.st> <20140329031431.GA21162@village.abthorpe.org> <533686CE.6040706@marino.st> <20140329101455.GA21319@lonesome.com> <5336A1B5.3080200@marino.st>

On , John Marino wrote:
> On 3/29/2014 11:14, Mark Linimon wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:39:42AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
>>> *this* is a crappy attitude though.
>>
>> No, that's the sound of burnout.
>>
>> IMVHO, one of the contributing factors to burnout is exactly this kind
>> of email.  It was certainly the case in my decision to step back over
>> year ago.
>
> Come on, Mark.
> First of all, he started with the attitude, not me.  Don't dish it out
> if you don't want a response.  But everyone is a victim nowadays,
> rights?
>

>> I appreciate that you are doing some good work for the project, but I
>> find your current attitude disappointing.  Not everything that ought
>> to happen quickly does, on a volunteer project.
>
> tabthorpe is not just anybody, he's an assigned leader.  Despite his
> intention to step down, he's still in that role today.  I do expect
> people in leadership positions that they've agreed to assume to lead by
> example.  Part of that is not just blowing off emails.  The "volunteer"
> excuse is old and used as a blanket excuse for not doing what ought to
> be done.  obviously it is often valid, but now it is often abused.
>
> Happen quickly? sure, I agree with that, it's life.  Not Responding /
> acknowledging quickly? I disagree.  It's easy to say, "Hey, I see the
> issue, I'm pretty swamped for the next 10 days.  I'll take a look at it
> after that if nobody else does in the meantime.  And we should think
> about how to centralize licensing...".
>
> This licensing topic is actually kind of a big mess that nobody seems
> be leading, and it's not even clear if missing licenses is a problem.
> What's the policy?  It would be better to disable the entire framework
> than continue with this half-support.

The policy on the licensing framework is that it was submitted by a GSoC
student who has disappeared, and tabthorpe was the only one to step up
and take care of the "mess".

Unfortunately that's the case with a lot of stuff here-- someone drops
something, someone else generously picks it up and gets flak for
historical issues, as well as not being able to devote 110% of their
time to it.

If you're interested in the license framework, PLEASE fix it up!

Chris

believed to be clean.