Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/19262: Is fsync.2 NAME section wrong?

The following reply was made to PR docs/19262; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To: nokubi@ff.iij4u.or.jp
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 01:15:00 +0100

 nokubi@ff.iij4u.or.jp wrote:

 > 	Because I'm not native English speaker, I'm not sure about this.
 > 	But I have strange feeling about fsync.2 and sync.2 NAME section.
 > 	They say like this:
 > 	  fsync - synchronize a file's in-core state with that on disk
 > 	  sync - synchronize disk block in-core status with that on disk
 >
 > 	I think that fsync(2) and sync(2) write changes from memory to disk.
 > 	But these sentences make me feel like that they read from disk
 > 	to memory and discard changes.

 Yes, I see what you mean...

 > 	SUSV2 saids like this:
 > 	  fsync - synchronise changes to a file
 > 	  sync - schedule filesystem updates

 They seem a bit short to me, but I can't seem to come up with any wording
 that I like. :-(

 fsync - write all in-core changes of a file to disk
 sync - schedule an update of all modified filesystem data to disk

 ?? Are they better?  Anyone care to comment?

 --
 Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D