Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:41:10 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crashdumps not working

--HUY/6dRnBRT+g9H1

On Wednesday,  8 December 2004 at 11:20:34 +0000, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
>> I recently enabled SW_WATCHDOG in my kernel, but when watchdog triggers
>> a panic, no crashdump is taken although dumps are enabled. What could be
>> causing this?
>
> If you drop to the debugger by using the debug.kdb.enter sysctl, and
> do "call doadump", followed by a reset, does a dump get generated
> successfully?  I.e., are they completely broken on your system, or
> is this somehow a property of the particular hang you're seeing.
> (Do the above with caution and in a situation where you don't mind
> fscking, needless to say).

FWIW, I've found that the only way to dump a -CURRENT system in the
last six months or so has been to 'call doadump'.  There are a number
of other problems, including getting gdb over firewire to work at all,
but I won't find time to look at them for the next few weeks.

Greg

--HUY/6dRnBRT+g9H1

--HUY/6dRnBRT+g9H1--