Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 13:21:08 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advocacy - SAMBA as an NTAS replacement

Karl Denninger wrote:

> Then price NTAS and then compare it with $0 + $0 (FreeBSD + Samba).
>
> Tell me why everyone in their right mind isn't doing exactly this?

	Actually a lot of people are. I hear stories (from reliable sources)
all the time about people in IS departments who've quietly been
replacing NT machines with some variation of Unix + Samba because the NT
stuff was a nightmare to maintain and secure. In more than one location
I know of people who've kept the NT boxes "out front" with shiny things
on the screen for the managers to point to when doing tours.

	If my experience is representative of a larger trend (and from what
I've read it is), the next wave of upgrades won't be to NT 5, it'll be
"upgrading back" to unix. Should be interesting. :)

Doug (who thinks that FreeBSD + Samba could become as big or bigger than
FreeBSD + Apache is now with the right marketing...)
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!