Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:32:59 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   are backplanes needed for IDE RAID?

Hello,

We are buying 3ware 7810 IDE RAID controller (supports hot-swap) and
thinking now about disk enclosures. There are some on the market (e.g.,
backplane http://www.synetic.net/Synetic-Products/2-to-3-IDE.html) but I
wonder do we need them? As far as I understand, some power switching is
necessary for hot swap, but do backplanes provide any advantage against
simple mobile racks with disk power switcher? Also, the backplane cited
above has two power connectors, are they necessary for hot-swappable power
supplies or not?

Thanks a lot,
Alex

PS Please cc: me your reply.