Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 2003 14:15:51 +1100
From:      "J.'LoneWolf' Mattsson" <lonewolf@earthmagic.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata33 vs others?

At 18:56 31/01/2003 -0600, Eric Timme wrote:
>I was just wondering if the performance difference on a p2-400 would warrant
>me trying to find a controller card that can handle ata100/133,

Based on personal experience, I would say nay. It depends on what you are
running on the box though - if you have something very disk intensive, then
it could be worth it, seeing as an IDE controller is quite cheap these days.

>and if so, how hard it'd be to get the motherboard to utilize harddrives
>connected up to  said controller card?

This is normally the easy bit. If you don't want to boot off a drive
connected to this controller you don't have to do anything in the BIOS. If
you want to boot off this controller, simply change the boot order/device
to attempt "External" or "SCSI" first. I think Abit refers to it as
"External", but otherwise the "SCSI" option should work well (unless of
course there's an onboard SCSI controller on the motherboard).

One small word of caution though, if you move a boot drive to the new
controller, you will have an... interesting.. time with updating your
/etc/fstab and the disklabel to get it to mount root from the right drive
and upgrade the mount to r/w. My advice would probably be to boot once with
the new controller installed but the drive on the old controller, see what
number the new controller shows up as, update the fstab, shutdown, move
disk to new controller, boot (explicitly telling it the where to mount root
from), and then updating the disklabel after that. I think that should give
the desired result in the least amount of time. I didn't do it that way...
and it took me considerably longer =)

Cheers,
/Johny

            Johny Mattsson                  / \__/\
        lonewolf@earthmagic.org           /'     , :
       http://www.earthmagic.org         ;   ( o   o
    irc.sorcery.net:9000 as LoneWolf     /   ,   ~. \
   System Designer / Support Engineer   / (  `- ..__"