Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:09:08 -0600
From:      William McVey <wam@sa.fedex.com>
To:        Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

Martin Husemann wrote:
>> What
>> is needed is a FreeBSD machine with a passive card using the standard
>> Siemens chipset connected to an ISDN S0 bus or U ref point.

Hmm.. I guess my terminology in my initial email has proven to be
incorrect.  I have Sportster ISDN card (an ISA card which apparently is
a passive ISDN device) inside a FreeBSD 2.2.8 device.  For purposes of
testing, I could probably arrange a week or two where I could have another,
perhaps even 2 more, of these cards installed into hardware on my premesis.
As far as what kind of connection I have, I'm clueless.  All I know is that I
connect the ISDN card into the wall via a standard category 5 cable with
RJ45 connectors.  The connection is at my house and is targetted for
residential use.

It's been asked why I would want to use isdn cards and i4b when
ISDN routers or serial devices have proven to work reliably in the
US.  It's primarly that of out of pocket cost and FreeBSD advocacy
here.  My employer has bought a large number of Sportster ISDN
cards for use in connecting to our corporate network.   There is
a core group of FreeBSD users who have bought their own ISDN
router/serial-ta (or simply used standard modem lines); however,
FreeBSD would be much more well received here if it supported this
one piece of equipment.  It's particularly agravating to have
hardware which is only usable by Windows.

>The ideal setup would be two machines at an S0 bus, three already supported
>cards and the special cabling to run isdntrace in analyzer mode on one
>of the machines. I don't know if such cabling could be done for an U ref
>point

Apparently from followup emails, it looks like I most likely have a U ref
point.  Does this mean we are hosed, or can we accomplish the necessary
debugging with just the U interface?

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
>2) What are the the Part-, Order- or Standard numbers for the
>   description of the D-channel layer one, two and three for the
>      protocol answered by (1) and where can i get a copy of them
>	 (without paying $$$) ?

Archie Cobb apparently has found some of the specs.  Additionally, if
there are technical standards which can only be found by paying for,
please let me know.  Buying these references for the betterment of the
project would defintly fall under the catch-all phrase, "Let me know
if there is something I can do to help" that I sent in my original mail.

 -- William