Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 07:46:49 +0800
From:      Chris <chris@chrisland.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ping reply and ttl

Hi,

just upgraded to 4.3-STABLE #2.
when ping to this machine:
64 bytes from x.x.x.x: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=26.476 ms
64 bytes from x.x.x.x: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=26.393 ms

before upgrading:
64 bytes from x.x.x.x: icmp_seq=0 ttl=250 time=26.632 ms
64 bytes from x.x.x.x: icmp_seq=1 ttl=250 time=44.669 ms

looking around the source I found that in ip_icmp.c, "net.inet.ip.ttl"
will be picked up since last commit.

Any reasons, well, benefits, behind this commit?  I get used to the old
result and was alerted on the ttl values if something was wrong.  Now I
cannot rely on this value.

Also in manpage of ping, it reads:

     In normal operation ping prints the ttl value from the packet it
re-
     ceives.  When a remote system receives a ping packet, it can do one
of
     three things with the TTL field in its response:

     o   Set it to 255; this is what current BSD systems do.  In this
case the
         TTL value in the received packet will be 255 minus the number
of
         routers in the path from the remote system to the pinging host.

time to change?

Thanks.
Chris