Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:14:24 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: somewhat random mostly-lockups in 5.0

> Well, it seems that -CURRENT likes locking up nowdays.  It started happening
> very recently, and I (as well as jlemon) do suspect that it's a problem
> with some of the changes that were made to the syscall mechanisms on
> 3/28/2000.
>
> Keep in mind that this problem is completely corroborated by a friend
> whose machine behaved exactly the same starting at the same time.  I
> hadn't noticed it until now because it seems to occur under rare
> circumstances, which are untknown till now.  The circumstances sre
> trivial things like compiling things and playing mp3's, normally
> quite mediocre stuff.
>
> The syptoms are that the machine locks up.  Hard.  But there's a catch:
> it _can_ be pinged.  In fact, TCP connections can be made.  In my
> case, SSH connected, but the remote end never sent/received any data
> (or, that is, showed signs).  In my friend's case, telnet connected,
> but yet no data was received or acknowledged.  According to jlemon,
> whose diagnosis makes sense, the problem is that for whatever reason
> the kernel is not returning to user mode.  That explains why sshd
> doesn't work, telnetd doesn't work, XFree86 and apps don't respond.
> The question is, why?

FWIW, I can confirm that my laptop has been doing exactly this.
Pings work, everything else is dead.  Mouse movement in X works for a
while after the machine goes AWOL, but eventually that locks up too.
I suspected vmware to be the culprit (or one of its klds), but I know
now that's not the case because it sometimes happens as I shut down....

This *may* have started happening when I did this:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
linprocfs           4        4        0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>