Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:23:44 -0800
From:      Jeffrey Williams <jeff@sailorfej.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>, freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unkillable OpenOffice.org process in 5.3p2

When you rebooted, was the computer actually able to halt on its own?
Every time mine has locked up, I have had to do a hard power down, the
OS is unable to kill the process even when halting.  I have noticed that
the OO app freezes typically after having Mozilla to use java and/or
adobe plugins, I am not sure which is the trigger yet.  I am wondering
if it is a problem with the interaction between the OO and java, or OO
the pdf libraries, or a some shared library that facilitates the
interaction between these components.  I am afraid I am not programmer
my self so I can't be of much help.  But I have attached my previous
email, and the response I got below your quoted mail.

> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> On Sat, 2005-Jan-15 10:28:10 -0800, Jeffrey Williams wrote:
>>
>>>Have you had any good responses to this, I have been having the exact
>>>same problem.  The last time I posted it, I was told it was a threading
>>>problem, and that if I cvsuped with RELENG_5 instead of RELENG_5_3 that
>>>would fix it.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it, as from
>>>what I have seen RELENG_5 just isn't stable enough for my primary
>>>workstation yet.
>>

>> Actually, I've had no response at all to this.  My system hung with
>> a filesystem deadlock yesterday so I've had to reboot anyway.  (I'm
>> not sure if the deadlock is related to OOo, but it seems possible).
>>
>> I might look at the differences between RELENG_5 and RELENG_5_3 and
>> see if there's anything obvious.

My first message posted to the freebsd-openoffice mail list: