Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 11:20:45 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        dochawk@psu.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how much ram/cpu/swap to run emacs/xemacs effectively?

jonathon jubilated, :)
> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:34:31AM -0400, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
> | Jonathon jib ed

> | > All holy wars aside, what do i need to run xemacs effectively?

> | But, but . . . :)

> Feel free to insert your editor of choice.  :)

We'll leave the One True Editor out of this :)  Besides, I've wimped
out and used its visual descendant . . .

> | As a general rule for any version of emacs, ever since first released,
> | find out how much memory the largest machine shipping at the time of
> | its releease could possibly have, then double.  Once it was only
> | *Eight* Megs And Constant Swapping . . .

> Yes, i know.  :)  But i've been told by many people whom i greatly respect
> that i should give it a try.  I saw a quote recently

> You can't really hate something so powerful and flexible as Emacs,
> despite its bloat.

I dunno.  I can hate it and still use it occasionally :)

> So, i decided to find out for myself.  I am fascinated by the lisp concept,
> and how stable the system is as a result.

Actually, that stability is the only thing I find that distinguishes it
from microsoft products--it has the rest of the characteristics:
bloated beyond machine resources, tries to do absolutely everything,
and downright hostile to the standards used by everything else . . .

But it can indent my Fortan 95 as I write it, which vim doesn't do yet
. . .

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail