Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:20:45 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Chris Fedde" <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Load balancing stuff (mainly samba)

> Take a look at coda.  It uses a scheme of local cacheing and
> replication to present a common file hierarchy over a potentialy
> large number of servers.  IIRC samba can share a coda filesystem.

This looks interesting!

I have been asked to set up a mail server with a hot backup which could
take over should the first server fail.  Does anyone have any
"real-world" experience using coda for this type of problem?

Does coda even fit this problem?  It is described as a replicated
network file system.  That tells me that data would be kept safe by
replication, but there may still be a single point of failure, namely
the mail server itself which is simply making use of the file system.

Any comments?

Patrick.