Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:55:08 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Andreas Pauley <andreasp@qbcon.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usermod equivalent?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:29:31PM +0200, Andreas Pauley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 4.3
> Now I need to add myself to the "wheel" group in order to be able to su
> to root.
>  (I'm assuming it's "wheel" because that's what it is in NetBSD and
> OpenBSD).
>
> There doesn't seem to be a usermod (or useradd, userdel for that
> matter), and /stand/sysinstall only allows you to add new users.
>
> Do I need to install an additional package, or should I just vi my
> /etc/group?
>
> And how do I delete a user without "userdel -r"?
>
> Another thing: I see the encrypted password is stored in /etc/passwd.
> How do I enable shadow passwords?
>  (Does this have anything to do with my security level?)

The commands for adding and removing users are adduser(8) and rmuser(8)
To change what groups you are in you can just edit /etc/group directly.
Passwords (encrypted or not) are not supposed to be in /etc/passwd.
They are supposed to be in /etc/master.passwd  See passwd(5) for more
info.  To modify this file please use vipw(8) which will call $EDITOR
to let you modify it and then rebuild the necessary files.

(Doing a 'man -k user' should have let you find out about
adduser/rmuser at least and then you would have found references to the
manpages for the password files.  The manpages do contain a lot of
information.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson