Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:07:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        byron@netapp.com, John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
Cc:        freeq <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk corruption after crash on Toshiba laptop

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, John Brann wrote:

> Major corruption: about 50-60 inodes got lost and relinked into lost+found.
> The man command no longer works because some piece of groff is missing.
>
> This is after a perfectly ordinary crash. UFS has strict ordering rules
> fo writing data to disk which I am afraid freebsd might be violating.
>
> I expect a fsck after a dirty halt, but I don't expect the fsck to fail!

It didn't.  You haven't finished the repair:

1.  Reboot to single user mode.
2.  Run fsck TWICE.  All lost stuff should reappear in lost+found after
this is complete.
3.  Copy stuff back and reboot.

If it is really lost then just dump the bin distribution back on top of
it.  Make backups of important stuff first (like the kernel) just in case.

[Crash gurus check me here.]

What happened to cause the crash?  Power off?