Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:06:31 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chrooted Bind follow-up questions & potential Gotcha's

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 08:27:42AM -0700, Mailing Lists typed:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, thanks to the generous help of several individuals on this list and
> the well written tutorial in the handbook on chrooting bind, I now have 2
> name servers running on FreeBSD 4.6.2. It's really not that difficult to
> do, once you know what the heck's going on.
>
> Took me several tries over the course of a few months but hey, I'm a mac
> guy. If you're having problems setting your own up, just keep pouring over
> the list and the handbook, the lights will come on eventually (as they did
> in my case).
>
> In any case, now that the glow of my triumph has started to fade, I have a
> few more questions.
>
> - I chrooted the Bind that gets installed with FreeBSD (8.3.3, I believe
> it was), and I did this in place under "/etc/namedb/", as outlined in the
> handbook. A horrible thought just occurred to me though, what happens when
> I update my installation now? Will FreeBSD just leave what I've done in
> place? Will it magically see my chrooted Bind installation and update
> Named et. al. when updates are needed? Or am I, as we say here in Canada,
> hosed?

Not really, but if you copied any binaries or libraries to nonstandard
places you should track them, because the update process will only update
files in their default locations.

> - While going through this learning process, I kept hearing of "Jail",
> after getting up and running (and I mean live, up and running with about
> 30 domains), the coolness of Jail finally dawned on me, and I think I'd
> like to switch. Could I just copy my existing Bind installation to the
> appropriate location within the jailed environment? Should, or even can
> one run a chrooted Bind within a jail (talk about an onion skin approach
> to security!)
>
> - If I were to run Bind inside a Jail, is there any way of knowing what
> the minimum cruft required within the Jail is? What programs does Bind
> rely on to function?

Maybe this little howto I wrote about my owm bind-in-jail setup can be of
some help:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rubeng/files/bindjail.html

hope this helps,
Ruben