Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 11:57:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, terry@lambert.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipx on 802.3

> Yes it is possible to do both 802.3 and V2 on the same segment. You would
> use two (IPX) network addresses then, so that each has got its own logical
> net. (If you don't use different net adddresses hosts on the same segment
> but using different LLCs won't be able to talk directly to each other. )
> But even for that you need some way to tell the networking code in the
> kernel which net is on 802.3 and which on V2. IPX don't have ARP, so I'm
> not sure what you mean when you say it should be stored in the ARP entry.
>
> (One of the segments connected to our Novell server run both 802.3 and V2,
> but we don't do it on all the segments because it generate too much traffic
> with all IPX RIP and SAP packets going out twice over that interface.)

You can fake ARP entries from RIP traffic.  The main problem Novell has
is that on a Native server disk I/O and memory aren't that different,
so it stores the service advertisements as "temporary bindery objects",
which is a stupid way of doing things.  In the UnixWare implementation,
the tables are stored in the driver.  I don't know if Steve took my
suggestion and faked access to the right class of temporary objects
and used an ioctl() to pull it from the streams stack directly.

This implementation has the advantage of being able to turn around a
number of requests (like "get nearest server" and "server busy") in
the kernel instead of bouncing it to user space.

Back to running 802.3 and V2 on the same segment: yes, it can be done.
I did exactly this because the boot proms on NE2000 boards required
802.3, but the Mentat streams stack we hacked up on VMS didn't support
802.3 (IPX's 802.3 is non-standard in any case: the header is buggered,
and only the protocol number in the length field saves you).  Using a
single 802.3 capable Native server, it was possible, using a RAM disk,
to "remote reset" (what Novell calls remote boot) a node with an 802.3
ROM into being a V2 node.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---