Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:29:43 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: Hardware notes update for Alpha architecture

--==_Exmh_-1937819328P

If memory serves me right, John Baldwin wrote:

> >> It hasn't been tested, but I would expect for it work as USB in general
> >> works.
> >
> > This brings up the fundamental question what we want to list as
> > supported: tested, or expected to just-work.

Personally, I don't have any real strong feelings either way, but I've
been proceeding more-or-less on the principle of "it's been tested",
subject to the issue I raise below.

> Well, if we only list one, it should be 'tested'.  If we are going to list
> both, then the 'expected to just-work' items should be either tagged as such
> or
> listed in a separate section.  That separate section may require a good chunk
> of DSSSL fu however.

There's also the question of at what granularity should we be concerned
with "tested" or "should work" or whatever.  I'm trying to keep things
on the granularity of drivers (or driver and bus combinations) if
possible, rather than specific models of devices.

Clearly, the more fine-grained we try to go, the more accurate we are,
but it's also a lot more work, and it requires a lot more information.
Personally, I'm about at the limit of my knowledge on the alpha
platform.

Bruce.

PS.  Thanks to everyone who's given feedback on my patch so far.  I'll
push out another patch in a few days (got a ${REALJOB} demo tomorrow).

--==_Exmh_-1937819328P

--==_Exmh_-1937819328P--